Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Great Sand Dunes - CO

The Great Sand Dunes were incredible... we didn't arrive until later at night - and here is a little known fact: if you arrive after dark and the handicap spot is not taken - it's up for grabs! But don't tell this to everyone - we got it when about 20 other cars driving around the camping ground did not!
Here are the majestic dunes!




Hiking up was a ton harder than we thought - this is the tallest dune - a total hike of 750 feet up - but for every step up you take two down... the best reward was running down the dunes - which we'll post soon with youtube... but lets just say that there is still sand in our tennis shoes!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! We used to go to the dunes every summer when I was a kid - I'd forgotten how beautiful it was!

Joshua said...

That is truly awesome! I need to get out west! Especially now that I know about the parking trick!