Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Milwaukee Art Museum

On Friday we went to the Milwaukee Art Museum with my Dad and Diana. It is an incredible building on the lake front. Since again, we didn't take any pictures, here are some from the website.
The large picture is showing the wings of the museum extend. I don't think it's functional at all - but it is pretty. When we first arrived the wings were closed, but while we were in the lobby, they opened. It's the first time I had seen them up and it was beautiful.
The visiting show was a Pissaro exhibit. He painted expressionist landscapes. They were all pretty pictures - but didn't do to much for me. He also often painted landscapes with industry behind it - although they were still beautiful - it made them kind of ugly to me. Maybe he was trying to say something, but I took the time just to catch up with my Dad.
This is from the Haitian art collection. This particular collection is so bright and vibrant. Every picture tells a very interesting story - and I feel like you learn so much about the culture just by seeing the art they produce. This picture depicts a ritual that took place to evoke spirits to give the people strength before a revolution to end slavery... but the clothing suggests that it may still be preformed in recent times.
This was one of our favorites from the modern art. This isn't a picture but a display with the chair, doll and a projector projecting the face and playing audio. So the doll 'talks' and when we walked by said something about "I more often am pessimistic about the current situation then not." It was really funny.

No comments: