Well, I learned a lot more about my position tonight...
Today I got to "talk" to the equivalent of a branch chief over here (although someone might tell me more later :) - and I thought that this would be the highlight of the day...
1st - I walk to tell my counterparts some new information and there was a new guy in the office. I introduce myself and he said hello & "I'm his boss" pointing to the person I came to talk to. But this doesn't really help because we all have many bosses, and in the end it is important to know which one - but you don't always get all the information you need right away over here...
So with no warning: Boom - the boss is in the room and tells me he is "interested" in what I've come to talk about. And then the frustration of the fact that we have a new plan comes out - and immediately he delves into the fact that there needs to be a new system!
If you've been in this position - you understand that it's not exactly easy to make agreements with someone so much higher than you. Because in the end I need approval from someone higher on my side to make those things happen. So as much as I agree that the process may not be perfect for our last minute updates, we actually do need them, and we really don't have time to make a new process since we need to make this work today. And again, you need to talk with more than just me.
So in the end we came to a short term agreement... but it sure was difficult to explain that I understand. I guess it's just another part of the job over here- as Moose said - with this position you are always the bad guy because you are the bringer of bad news: "we need a change, so you have more work and more trouble, hope it's not too big of a deal for you!"
And then we lost attitude control...
So I additionally learned how difficult it is to tell your counterparts what the plan is when the plan is being made! Once you tell them one thing, another is already taken place! As the ops lead told me - you have to get good at constantly listening and transferring, you are just the device that information flows through!
So over all I think I didn't do too bad - but I understand more now what I need to work on for the challenges ahead!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, you definitely didn't do bad at all. We felt so bad when we came in and heard you got an earful...there will be some good lessons learned from this mission (how much I dislike TCFs and OCA messages...). I did hear your ADCO/HawkI team express appreciation for having you over there to help them out with the attitude recovery plan. Good job!
Post a Comment