Monday, June 11, 2007

Wandering about the city center

Today I had plans to tour the the large cathedral in Moscow - but today is considered a Holiday (I guess in preparation for the real holiday tomorrow) and the line to get in the Church was at least a half mile long. It started in the front and went all the way around. So instead, we walked around the church and these are my two favorite pictures.

As you can see it was an absolutely beautiful day, must have been about 65 degrees! A big change from Houston!

After we decided not to tour the cathedral, we stopped by an art museum which was closed, then tried a Georgian restaurant which had moved... and finally just decided to grab a bite to eat near Red Square.

Here's a picture of me outside the Kremlin wall and towers.
Here is a picture of the buildings surrounding Red Square. We didn't really have time to go in their either (still some lines because of the metal detectors set up). But we did enjoy a nice lunch by the parks next to the walls of the Kremlin.

Then it was back on the Metro to get back before work tonight. Another reason I love the metro here is because it is so beautifully decorated. You are not supposed to take pictures, and I haven't yet... but, each metro station is decorated differently. Today we were at a stop with stations on every column with soldiers, as they might be getting ready for a battle. We stopped in a space themed one yesterday with beautiful mosaics on the ceilings of rockets and the stars. I really think I might have to spend some time just getting on and off at each stop to see all the designs!

1 comment:

Mike said...

You're totally right on with the metro over there. You mentioned my favorite stop - the one with the soldiers. It's Revolution Square. It's in honor of the October revolution of 1917. Here are a few pictures I snapped of it in 2005 as well as one of Prospekt Mira station from 2001.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Mike.Allyn/MetroStops

http://www.metro.ru/stations/arbatsko-pokrovskaya/ploshad_revolutsii/

The second link is from the official Moscow Metro web site. They have descriptions of all the stops, when they were built, etc... It's a good chance for you to practice your Russian!
http://www.metro.ru/

Have fun over there!!